SYLACAUGA, Ala. – At its scheduled meeting on Tuesday, Oct. 3, the Sylacauga City Council approved a resolution authorizing an arrangement between the Police Department and the Board of Education for two School Resource Officers with a total $52,000 funding commitment from the school system.
The council also awarded a bid for the first phase of a Lake Howard boat dock repair project to M.J. Brooks & Son Construction Inc. as the lowest responsive bidder at a cost of $52,820.
In other action, the Council:
- reappointed Rocky Jackson to the Commercial Development Authority and newly appointed Michael Adair and Stephen Dean for terms ending March 15, 2021.
- appointed Dr. Shirley Spears to the Sylacauga Health Care Authority (Hospital Board) to fill the unexpired term of John Floyd ending in August 2023. Floyd was appointed to the Talladega County Commission to fill the position formerly held by the late Wallace Shoemaker.
- reappointed Matt Hubbard and Stephen Taylor to the Parks & Recreation Board for terms ending in October 2022.
- appointed DeCorey Hale, Terry Morris, and John Wesson to the Tree Commission for terms ending in June 2022, June 2019, and June 2018, respectively.
- approved a request from the Sylacauga Young Professionals group for use of the city-owned parking lot and the section of an alley between 2nd and 3rd Streets directly behind Fermenters Market at the Rex for an Oktoberfest event on Thursday, Oct. 19.
At the beginning of the meeting, Interim Fire Chief Adam Gardner introduced two new lieutenants: Jarrod Cunningham and Tommy Chamberlain.
Jeremy Law for SylacaugaNews.com | © 2017, SylacaugaNews.com/Marble City Media LLC. All Rights Reserved.