SYLACAUGA, Ala. – The Sylacauga Board of Education plans to interview six finalists in its search for a superintendent to replace Dr. Jon Segars when his contract expires at mid-year. Of the six, five are from Alabama, and one is from Georgia.
Assisting with the search, a representative from the Alabama Association of School Boards presented recommendations to the Board in a called meeting on Thursday based on 45 applications from candidates in nine states. Ranging in age from 48-60, the six have served as teachers, administrators, assistant superintendents, deputy superintendents, or superintendents and committed to serving at least six to eight years in Sylacauga if selected.
The finalists, in alphabetical order:
- Dr. Michael Barber, Pell City, Ala., retired and most recently Superintendent of Pell City Schools, 2013-2019. Dr. Barber served as Assistant Superintendent in Pell City from 2003-2013; Elementary Principal in Pell City from 1998-2003; Assistant Principal, Talladega County Schools, 1994-1998; and a teacher in Talladega County Schools from 1989-1994.
- Dr. J. Michelle Eller, Eclectic, Ala., Assistant Superintendent of the Chickasaw City Board of Education since 2019. Dr. Eller served as Director of Secondary Instruction, Eufaula City Schools, from 2015-2019 and was with Elmore County Schools as Administrative Assistant in 2015, Curriculum Dept./Secondary Instructional Specialist from 2013-2015, and English/theatre teacher from 2003-2013.
- Dr. Tim Guinn, Russellville, Ala., Assistant Superintendent of Russellville City Schools since 2016. Dr. Guinn served Russellville City Schools as High School Principal, 2009-2016, and Assistant Principal, 2002-2009. From 1992-2002, he was High School Principal for Franklin City Schools, and he was a teacher and basketball coach for Tuscumbia City Schools, 1997-1999.
- Dr. Kiawana Kennedy, Fayetteville, Ga., Deputy and Assistant Superintendent, Griffin-Spaulding County Board of Education since 2015. Dr. Kennedy was Chief Operating Officer and Director of Curriculum, Decatur (Ga.) City Schools, 2010-2015; Principal, Fayette (Ga.) City Schools, 2004-2019; Principal, Coweta County (Ga.) Schools, 2002-2004; Principal, Cobb County (Ga.) Schools, 1996-2002; and a middle school teacher, Atlanta Public Schools, 1992-1996.
- John C. Mullins, Arab, Ala., retired and most recently Superintendent, Arab City Board of Education, 2002-2019. Mullins served as Superintendent, Tishomingo County (Miss.) Schools, 1998-2002; Principal, Haleyville City Schools, 1993-1998; Assistant Principal, Tishomingo County (Miss.) Schools, 1991-1993; Assistant Principal, Amite County (Miss.) Schools, 1990-1991; and a teacher/coach, Cleveland (Miss.) Schools, 1983-1990.
- Dr. Carlos Nelson, Muscle Shoals, Ala., Deputy Superintendent, Sheffield City Board of Education, since 2013; Elementary Principal, 2007-2013; and Assistant High School Principal, 2002-2017. Dr. Nelson served Tuscumbia City Schools as Interim Middle School Superintendent, 1999-2000, and as a teacher, 1998-2002.
Interviews are to begin next week.
In January, Dr. Segars announced his plans to retire at the end of June.