SYLACAUGA, Ala. – Sylacauga’s City Council met Tuesday night for its regularly scheduled meeting.
During the meeting, one Talladega County Sheriff’s Office investigator and several officers from the Sylacauga Police Department were recognized for their hard work and commitment to the community.
The council also took action on the following items:
- Public hearings to consider nuisance properties identified through CDBG Project LR-CE-PF-19-01 (set by Resolution 65-2021 approved 6-15-21 to correct/amend addresses).
- Police Chief Kelley Johnson to present awards and ‘SPD Officer of the Year’ for 2020.
- Presentation by Shelly Bullard, Fermenters Market.
- Approved a recommendation from Police Chief Kelley Johnson to declare 2001 Jeep Cherokee, S/N 1J4FF48S41L605526 as surplus property, and donate to Coosa County Sheriff’s Office.
- Approved travel/training expenses for PD recruits Joseph Bridges and Kirby Days to attend the NE Alabama Law Enforcement Academy in Anniston Aug. 30-Dec. 2, 2021. Tuition of $1,000, food and lodging of $3,800, ammunition costs of $284; $500 to be paid by APOSTC upon graduation. Total estimated expenses for Bridges and Days are $5,084 each.
- Approved travel/training expenses for Fire Chief Nate Osgood and Firefighter Kyle Moseley to attend the Live Fire Instructor Crossover/Update in Tallassee July 20, July 27, and Aug. 3. No registration fees; employees will use a city-provided vehicle. There are no estimated expenses for this training.
- Approved travel/training expenses for Firefighters Logan Blake and Harmony Kelley to attend the Fire Life Training Alabama HOT (Hands on Training) Conference in Tallassee Nov. 3-4, 2021. Registration fee of $299; employees will carpool in a city-provided vehicle. Total estimated expenses for Blake and Kelley are $299 each.
- Approved the action necessary to set a date for a public hearing to correct addresses needed to notify property owners of structures identified as public nuisances and being considered for possible demolition under the FY19 CDBG LR-CE-PF-19-011 project.
- Approved the action necessary to authorize travel/training expenses for PD Investigators Chris Vinson and Roman Hubbard to attend the ROCIC 30th Annual Homicide Conference in Biloxi, MS, August 15-18 2021; registration fee is $150.00/each; additional expenses for lodging, meals and fuel; employees will carpool in a city-provided vehicle. Total estimated expenses for Vinson are $772.56; expenses for Hubbard are $672.56.
- Approved action necessary to authorize seeking bids for the demolition of structures identified as public nuisances under the FY19 CDBG LR-CE-PF-19-011 project.
- Approved action necessary to authorize seeking bids for the demolition of the former Food World building located on North Main Avenue.
- Approved recommendation from Reed Calfee to rehire Hallie Payton as an Animal Shelter employee.
- Approved the balance of accounts payable for June in the amount of $435,262.03.
- Approved June payroll in the amount of $400,244.69.
Watch the work session and meeting here: