SYLACAUGA, Ala. – The Sylacauga City Council will hold its second meeting for the month of April on Tuesday at 6 p.m. at City Hall.
Before the official meeting, the Council will hold a work session beginning at 5 p.m.
At the work session, Mayor Jim Heigl plans to discuss a proposed litter ordinance. In the past Heigl has expressed his concern for the amount of litter on Sylacauga streets, and the city recently held an organized litter pick-up day. The ordinance will be voted on in the 6:00 meeting.
Also in the work session, City Council President Lee Perryman plans to discuss a revised sign ordinance. The proposed ordinance will prevent any new billboards or large signs from being raised in the downtown area.
Following the work session, the official meeting will begin. Here is the proposed agenda for Tuesday’s meeting.
- Public hearing for zoning and annexation of properties located at 1060 Oldfield Road, 38 Redbud Road, 593 Center Point Acres, and 1026 Brooks Road. The public hearing was set during the March 7 meeting.
- Approval of litter ordinance.
- Recommendation from Street Superintendent Reed Calfee and Shop Superintdenent Ed Ford regarding opening of bids for Used Tractor on April 12, 2017.
- Request from Georgia Crown Distributing Company for a refund in the amount of $175 for over-payment of 2017 business license fees, based on Code of Alabama Title 28.
- Request from Kenneth Murphy, owner of 280 Discount Fireworks, LLC, for refund of $500 security deposit paid in 2002. Murphy will no longer sell fireworks in City; refund requested per Ordinance 2001.
- Approve expenses for PD Lt. Willis Whatley and Officers Harry Brown and David Kimbrough to attend the National Association of School Resource Officer’s conference in Gulf Shores June 5-9, 2017. Registration fee is $200.00 (Whatley-Safe Schools); $395 (Brown – Advanced SRO); and $495 (Kimbrough-Basic SRO). Additional expenses for lodging for Brown and Kimbrough, as well as fuel and meals for all three officers, will be incurred.
- Approve expenses for PD Chief Kelley Johnson and Captain Rondell Muse to attend the AACOP Summer Conference/CLEEP Training in Orange Beach Alabama July 30-August 3, 2017. Registration fee is $200.00 per employee. Additional expenses for lodging, meals and fuel will be incurred.
- Approve expenses for Municipal Court Magistrates Krissy King and Melanie Allen to attend a maintenance class on June 9, 2017 in Montgomery. Registration fee is $50 per employee. Additional expenses for mileage will be incurred.
- Balance of Accounts Payable received for March in the amount of $206,260.55.
- March payroll in the amount of $360,530.20.
The work session and council meeting are both public forums. The community is encouraged to attend.
Jeremy Law for SylacaugaNews.com | © 2017, SylacaugaNews.com/Marble City Media LLC. All Rights Reserved.