SYLACAUGA, Ala. – Sylacauga’s city council met Tuesday night with the session highlighted by a 1-hour 30-minute work session prior to the regularly scheduled meeting.
The majority of the work session featured Police Chief Kelley Johnson presenting a new pay plan and recruitment/retention incentive plan for his department. Johnson told the council the department has faced challenges in keeping officers due to higher wages in surrounding areas, one of those being a 17-year veteran of the Sylacauga Police Department.
Johnson said his plan will help keep officers on the staff, as well as help recruit new officers to the force.
In Johnson’s pay plan, a corporal position is listed. The Civil Service Board has yet to approve the job description for corporal position, meaning the city could not take action on the plan although all members of the city council expressed a desire to approve a new pay and incentive plan as soon as possible. The council will revisit the plan, with hopes to approve, at the first meeting in January.
Johnson is first up in the work session below:
In the meeting, the council took the following actions:
- Approved resolution 93-2020 extending additional court dates through April 2021 at the request of Judge Barry Vaughn.
- Took action necessary to accept the 60-day notice of retirement from City Clerk/Treasurer Patricia Carden effective 2-1-21, and to certify to RSA the conversion of unused sick leave.
- Approved 2021 Holiday Schedule and 2021 Council Meeting Schedule.
- Approved recommendation from Code Enforcement to refund permit fees as requested by On Point Plumbing, LLC in the amount of $40 due to job location being outside city limits.
- Additional invoices for FY20 Accounts Payable received after year-end close on Sept. 30 in the amount of $119,511.42.
- Took action necessary to accept proposal for purchase and installation of 20 custom dog kennel gates at the animal shelter
- Balance of accounts payable for November in the amount of $434,967.77.
- November payroll in the amount of $432,693.96.
Watch the meeting here: