SYLACAUGA, Ala. – The Sylacauga City Council met for the second time in May Tuesday night notably making the next appointment to the Sylacauga City Schools Board of Education.
Melissa Garris was reappointed by the council in a 3-2 vote. Councilman Donnie Blackmon nominated Garris to begin the process. Councilman Dallas Davenport nominated Joe Hogan and Councilwoman Tiffany Nix nominated Greg Bailey.
Garris’ appointment comes a short time before the decision will be made to replace former SCS Superintendent Todd Freeman.
“My reason behind reapplying was because I wanted to provide continuity during this pivotal time,” said Garris. “Our board works wonderfully together.”
Garris has served on the board for the last five years, has two children in Sylacauga City Schools and prides herself on being familiar with the way the school system is run and being an “advocate for the children in the system.”
Hogan addressed the council at the end of the meeting thanking it for the opportunity to interview and publicly congratulated Garris, for whom he voted for during his prior term on the city council.
Garris will serve a five-year term starting in June.
After the work session, the council entered into two executive sessions. During the regularly-shcgudled meeting, the council:
- Approved a resuoltion agreement with East Alabama Regional Planning & Development Commission and authorized funding for operation and administration of the FY2019 Section 5311 Grant for Public Transportation Program. (5-0)
- Approved a resolution authorizing Merchant Agreement with GovPayNet for on-site and online credit/debit card processing of payments due the City of Sylacauga, with the cost of services provided to be passed on to the customer. (5-0)
- Authorized the purchase of a TR-575 Heated Asphalt Distributor for SealMaster/Alabama for $14,999 and one 2005 Hamm HD 12 Roller from Robert Ingram (Equipment) for $9,600. (5-0)
- Made Zoning Board of Adjustment appointments. (5-0)
- Authorized payment of $3,340.75 invoice for ongoing monthly charges for new SUB account for water and related taxes. (5-0)
- Authorized two-day and one-day CAPZO Certification, approved $383,821.53 for payrolls, and approved $163,761.33 for balance of accounts payable invoices received for April 2018. (5-0)
- Authorized opening of new bank account for the City of Sylacauga Municipal Court Judicial Administrative Fund with an initial deposit of $77,122.03. (5-0)
- Approved resolution authorizing expenditure from City of Sylacauga Capital Improvement Reserve in the amount of $14,950. to Griddens, Inc. for services to repair leak at the municipal swimming pool (5-0).
- Amended prior Council action taken on 4/03/18 by modifying the amount to pay increase for Interim FD Lieutenants from 5% to a one (1) Step increase in pay per request from Fire Chief Adam Gardner. (5-0)