SYLACAUGA, Ala. – The Sylacauga City Council met on Tuesday night notably making the next appointment to the Sylacauga City Schools Board of Education.
Greg Bailey was appointed by four voted “yea” and one abstained, replacing current board member Janean Crawford. Crawford sought reappointment, however the council chose to elect Bailey.
Councilwoman Tiffany Nix nominated Bailey. Nix, along with Council President Lee Perryman, and Council members Laura Heath, and Ashton Fowler cast “yea” votes for Bailey. Councilman Nate Brewer abstained from voting since he is an employee of the Sylacauga City School System.
Bailey, a retired teacher from the Sylacauga City School System is the only educator on the board.
“I want to thank Mrs. Crawford for her faithful support of our students,” said Sylacauga City Schools Superintendent, Dr. Jon Segars. “I also want to congratulate Mr. Bailey and wish him the very best as he takes on a very challenging but critically important task.”
Bailey will serve a five-year term starting in June.
The city council also took action on the following items:
- Approved a resolution authorizing the city to enter into a contract with NextSite, LLC to provide commercial development recruitment for the city, at a fee of $35,000 payable over three years, plus additional success fees based on developments and recruited and completed. (5-0)
- Awarded bid for widening and resurfacing James Payton Blvd. from U.S. Highway 280 to County Road 511 to Dunn Construction Company at the low bid of $399,526. (5-0)
- Authorized a contract with Engineering Environmental & Forestry Services Company (EEFS) for construction engineering and inspection services, including materials for the widening and resurfacing of James Payton Blvd. at a fee of $56,098.40. (5-0)
- Authorized B.B. Comer Memorial Library to proceed with the awarding of the bid for the American Disabilities Act restroom renovations project to Hutto Construction and Contracting Company at the low bid price of $88,682. Authorization needed for city-owned building with no city funding requested. (5-0)
- Accepted a proposal for $5,995 from Summit Waterproofing to provide services to caulk and seal the chimney on the roof of City Hall. (5-0)
- Accepted a request from Street Department Superintendent Reed Calfee to seek bids for storm debris grinding and removal of services of materials collected from within the city following Hurricane Zeta. City applied for FEMA funding to assist with cleanup and damages caused by the hurricane. (5-0)
- Authorized Police Chief Kelley Johnson to approve a memorandum of understanding with the Talladega County Commission authorizing the Sylacauga Police Department to assist the Talladega County Sheriff’s Department with K9 and officer handling services. (5-0)
- Authorized adoption agreements with 1st Foundation for the adoption of two police department K9’s, Drago (a four-year-old male German Shepard) and Dickey (four-year-old Labrador Retriever), no fees required for adoption. (5-0)
- Approved travel and training expenses for councilman Nate Brewer to attend the Alabama League of Municipalities Municipal Official regional training in Alabaster with estimated expenses of $196. (5-0)
- Approved payments of $654,330.04 for accounts payable for April. (5-0)
Watch the work session and meeting below: