SYLACAUGA, Ala. – For the second consecutive year, Nichols-Lawson Middle School has been recognized as an Alabama Safe School after an announcement made by Alabama Attorney General Steve Marshall.
Last week, a panel of independent judges met at the Attorney General’s Office to review submissions from 94 schools throughout Alabama, a record number since the program began in 2002 and twice the number received last year.
Winners were selected from each of the eight state school board districts as well as private schools for each state region.
“In these times, we are all intensely aware of the serious responsibility our schools carry for the safekeeping of our children,” said Attorney General Marshall. “The Alabama Safe Schools Awards of Excellence is an important tradition of the Attorney General’s Office, to recognize schools throughout our state for dedication and excellence in keeping students safe. Each day that parents leave their children at school, they are entrusting what they hold most precious into the care of schoolteachers, principals, school resource officers and other staff. With these awards, we honor those who have achieved particularly high standards and set examples that others may follow. We are grateful for their service and commitment to protecting the children of Alabama.”
Awards will be personally presented by Attorney General Marshall during the next several weeks to the winning schools.
Below is a list of the 10 recipients of a 2018 Attorney General’s Safe Schools Initiative Award of Excellence for the state school board district and state regions for private schools:
- District 1, Orange Beach Elementary School, Orange Beach, BaldwinCounty
- District 2, Richland Elementary School, Auburn, Lee County
- District 3, Nichols-Lawson Middle School, Sylacauga, Talladega County
- District 4,Eastwood Middle School, Cottondale, Tuscaloosa County
- District 5, Prattville Junior High School, Prattville, Autauga County
- District 6,Decatur High School, Decatur, Morgan County
- District 7, Hewitt Trussville Middle School, Trussville, Jefferson County
- District 8, Morris P-8 School, Huntsville, Madison County
- *Private School, Northern Region, no submissions were received this year; Private School, Central Region, Saint James School, Montgomery, Montgomery County
- Private School, Southern Region, The Lakeside School, Eufaula, Barbour County