SYLACAUGA, Ala.- On Friday, the Sylacauga Board of Education selected Dr. Jon Segars as the new superintendent of Sylacauga City Schools. Segars has been the Director of Career and Technical Education for Sylacauga City Schools and Assistant Principal at Sylacauga High School since October 2015.
Segars was nominated after former superintendent, Dr. Todd Freeman, was hired by Vestavia Hills City Schools to fill the same position at the end of January. No other candidates were nominated by the four board members. Steve Marlowe, the fifth board member, recused himself due to family relation to a candidate.
During the announcement Friday, Segars was recognized as being “extremely strong on the financial side.”
“[He] uniquely positions to take our school system forward,” said board member Amy Price.
Segars was one of six candidates for the position interviewed by the SCS board members May 7-11. Other applicants included:
- Dr. Kim Marie Hendon, Assistant Superintendent/Federal Programs/Curriculum Director, Roanoke City Schools
- Dr. Matthew W. Hubbard, Executive Director of Supporting Programs, Sylacauga City Schools
- Dr. Cory S. O’Neal, Principal, Duran Jr. High School, South, Pell City Schools and Adjunct Professor Jacksonville State University
- Dr. Aimee T. Rainey, Principal, Weeden Elementary School, Florence City Schools
- Dr. Daniel J. Steele, Principal, Thompson Sixth Grade Center, Alabaster City Schools
Sylacauga City Schools attorney, Brad Proctor, from Proctor and Vaughn Attorneys at Law, told SylacaugaNews.com contract negotiations with Segars will begin soon. He expects negotiations to be completed quickly, and for Segars to be seated as superintendent by July 1.
Prior to becoming the Director of Career and Technical Education at SCS, Segars had experience in both the United States Military and post-secondary education. He served as Junior ROTC Instructor for Auburn High School from July 2010 – September 2015. Prior to that, Segars served as a Professor of Military Science at Auburn University.
Segars holds a Bachelor of Arts in Business Management from the University of North Georgia, Masters of Science from Kansas State University and a Doctorate of Adult Education from Auburn University.