Current Weather

Currently on MIX 106.5

Every Breath You Take
Police

CURRENTLY ON KiX 100.3

God's Country
Blake Shelton

Downtown parking areas undergoing renovations

SHARE NOW

SYLACAUGA, Ala. – Many parking areas in downtown Sylacauga are getting much needed renovations.

In December of 2017, the City Council authorized Engineering Design Technologies, Inc. to apply for FY2018 Transportation Alternatives Program (TAP) funds from the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) to be used for continuation of the downtown streetscape along Alabama Highway 21 (Broadway Avenue) – from 5th Street to 6th Street and the parking area East of Alabama Hwy 21 between 2nd and 3rd Street.  The City was awarded federal funding in the amount of $640,000.00 for this project, 80% of the maximum grant award.  The City is responsible for the remaining 20% match.

In May of 2018, the Council authorized EDT to apply for additional Transportation Alternatives Program (TAP) funds from the Federal Highway Administration to be used for further continuation of the parking area renovations on the West side of Alabama Hwy 21 between 2nd Street and 3rd Street and 1st Street and 2nd Street.  The City was also awarded federal funding in the amount of $640,000.00 for this project, 80% of the maximum grant award.  The City is responsible for the remaining 20% match.

The Council then requested authorization from the Alabama Department of Transportation to combine the FY2018 and FY2019 TAP Grant Streetscape and ADA Improvement Projects into one construction plan to allow the City to advertise both projects at one time.  The request was approved, and plans were developed by our engineering firm.

Revisions were made to the plans in 2020 after meetings with local business owners.  ALDOT approved the requested revisions, and the Council authorized bids be advertised.  Triple J Construction of Arley, Alabama, was awarded the bid for the project at the low bid price of $1,808,759.00 on March 2, 2021.  Construction began on the projects in May.

These two projects continue the city’s plans to improve its downtown area and encourages pedestrian traffic.  Improvements along North Broadway Avenue between 3rd and 4th Streets were recently completed using FY2015 Transportation Alternative Program (TAP) funds.

 

 

 


Click here to e-mail the reporter.© 2016-2023, SylacaugaNews.com/Marble City Media LLC/RadioAlabama. All Rights Reserved. RadioAlabama’s network -- MIX 106.5 (& 98.3 HD2), WSGN, KiX 100.3 (& 1290 AM), 105.1 WRFS, KiX 96.3 (& 1050 AM), RadioAlabama Sports, and RA Digital -- along with SylacaugaNews.com reports local news around the clock and will keep you up-to-date during breaking news and weather. For real-time alerts from SylacaugaNews.com, text NEWS to 59925. Standard text message rates may apply. By signing up, you agree to receive ongoing text message alerts from RadioAlabama. Consent not required for purchase. Up to eight messages per month. Reply STOP to cancel. Reply HELP for help. Message & Data rates may apply. Terms and Conditions/Privacy Policy @ www.optspot.com/tnc.