SYLACAUGA, Ala. – Sylacauga Police will have a higher presence at local schools if a proposed resolution is passed at Tuesday night’s Sylacauga City Council meeting.
All three parties involved, the City of Sylacauga, SPD and SCS, have all expressed interest in having full-time school resource officers on every campus while students are in class for months.
The resolution will authorize Sylacauga Police Chief Kelley Johnson to execute an agreement with SCS and Superintendent Dr. Jon Segars for the assignment of four SROs for a one year term. The proposed term would begin Oct. 1 of this year and end Sept. 30, 2019.
Segars previously told SylacaugaNews.com his top priority is student safety, and having permanent SROs at each school is at the forefront of that priority.
The agreement will take a heavy financial investment from SCS. For SPD to supply these officers, it will cost $26,510 per officer for the length of the agreement.
The following items will also be vote don at Tuesday’s meeting:
- Resolution 68-2018 authorizing contract with Engineering Design Technologies, Inc. in the amount of $59,723.55 for 2019 TAP Downtown Streetscape & ADA Improvements to the parking area between Norton Avenue and Hwy. 21, 3rd St. and 1st St. Project #TAPAA-TA19(914).
- Resolution 70-2018 setting date for public hearing for closing of alleys at the request of Coosa Valley Medical Center and at the recommendation of the Planning Commission. (First available date for public hearing is 10-16-18).
- Resolution 71-2018 setting date for public hearing for amendment to zoning ordinance – Planned Use Development – as recommended by Planning Commission.
- Resolution 72-2018 accepting the recommendation of Lathan Associates Architects, P.C. awarding bid for Replacement of Gym Flooring at J Craig Smith Community Center to Gym Service and Installation Co., Inc. with the low bid price of $64,881, if ready.
- Resolution 73-2018 appointing one director the Board of Directors of the Improvement District of the City of Sylacauga-Marble City Square Project.
- Resolution 74-2018 authorizing change order to Paving Project adding Avondale Avenue and West 10th Street (both county reimbursements), if ready (awaiting change order from EEFS).
- Resolution 75-2018 authorizing change order to Paving Project adding alternate streets, if ready (awaiting change order from EEFS, listing of streets and funding sources).
- Approval for Mayor to execute renewal agreement with AIDB for Interpreter Service for the period Oct. 1, 2018 through Sept. 30, 2019.
- Approval for Mayor to execute agreement with Talladega Career Center for permission for volunteer participants to be used (one employee currently assigned to Mayor’s office to assist HR).
- Request from Historical Commission to purchase three 30-inch by 42-inchhistorical markers to be placed on North Broadway Ave./ West 1st St., Comer Museum, and Sylacauga Cemetery at a cost of $2,350 each.
- Approval to move Michael Richardson, CDA Supernumerary, to an active position on the CDA to complete the term of Stephen Dean (deceased), ending March 15, 2021.
- Appointment to CDA – (term of Michael Adair ending March 15, 2021).