SYLACAUGA, Ala. – Originally constructed in 1835, the home to pioneer Benjamin H. Averiett lies just eight miles west of Sylacauga. Averiett is known as one of the first modern settlers of Talladega County and Alabama as a whole. The Benjamin H. Averiett House was home to Averiett and family following migration.
The Averiett family migrated to Alabama in the early 1800s from Georgia. Originally settling in Autauga County as a child then moving to Talladega County once reaching adulthood, Benjamin Averiett became one of the most successful pioneers in early Alabama history. Having one of the first major plantation units in Alabama, Benjamin Averiett’s unit was one of the leading factors towards the growth and settlement in Talladega County.
The Averiett Plantation is often regarded as a classic representative of not only Alabama’s agricultural scene, but all of the Appalachia, which winds off in Alabama. Its success stems from the amount of land Averiett owned, exceeding 10,000 acres from unofficial counts. Historians believe Averiett leased some amounts of land to other farmers and marble quarries. Other attributes to its success include its rather flat landscape compared to rest of Appalachia and its status of a fully functional plantation, with its own cotton gin, blacksmith, and numerous staff members.
Furthermore, the Averiett Plantation’s success is ultimately culminated from an agricultural census completed in 1870 following the Civil War. Averiett, along with two other plantation owners in Talladega County, were named on a list of the top twenty-five wealthiest men in Appalachia.
With the Averiett family migrating from Georgia, the Benjamin H. Averiett House has a true Georgia pioneer style. Modernized in 1920, the home’s interior consists of marble-like millwork. Known as a “second generation dog trot,” the Averiett home features a front and back porch surrounded by three bedrooms on both sides of the porches. The openings between each side of bedrooms maximized airflow.
Following the death of Averiett, Averiett’s daughter Ruby and husband Hudson Hamilton inherited the home. The Hamilton family ultimately sold the home to Moretti-Harrah Marble Company in 1963.
Thirty years later, the home was moved from its original location in Talladega County prior to marble quarries expanding its mining operations. The house now stands as additional wings to original home of William Averiett, son of Benjamin Averiett. The home is now in the possession of Travis and Averiett Wesson, descendants of Benjamin Averiett.
Jack Wilbanks for SylacaugaNews.com | © 2017, SylacaugaNews.com/Marble City Media LLC. All Rights Reserved.