SYLACAUGA, Ala. – The Sylacauga City Council met for the first time in July on Thursday afternoon. The council meeting was headlined by multiple board appointments.
The Industrial Development Board held two vacancies. One vacancy was from Barry Vaughn’s expired term. Vaughn was reappointed to the board for a six-year term through April 15, 2023. Wayne Hall was also appointed to the board. He will take over the seat of Craig Stickley.
The Sylacauga Board of Education had an opening as well. Dr. Rheka Chadalawada term expired this year, but after a vote, she was reappointed to her position.
The Historical Commission had two openings. Mary (Mickey) Orton’s term ended in March, but she was reappointed by the council to a three-year term ending in March, 2020. Gloria Owens was also reappointed to the board.
Also during the meeting, the council approved a petition from Hutton MCS Sylacauga for the incorporation of the Improvement District of the city for Marble City Square which is the retail development center set to open on US Hwy. 280 next year.
The Sylacauga City Council approved the following items during its session:
- Approved a tax abatement request from Fleetwood Matal Industries for the completion of a 60,000 sq. ft. facility for the manufacture of automotive parts which will result in the creation of 30 jobs at the beginning of the process.
- Approved expenses for SPD Officer Matt Cook to attend the Standardized Field Sobriety Testing Instructor Training at the NE Alabama Law Enforcement Academy in Jacksonville, Alabama for July 24-27, 2017. There is no registration fee. Estimated meal expenses up to $140 will be incurred.
- Approved expenses for two employees to attend the Alabama Municipal Insurance Corporation and Municipal Workers Compensation Fund Loss Control Summer Seminar 2017 in Bessemer on Aug. 16, 2017. Registration fee is $20 per employee. Additional expense for mileage will be incurred.
- Approved expenses for City Clerk Patricia Carden and Kim Morris to attend the Certified Municipal Clerks and Master Municipal Clerks Training Institute in Tuscaloosa for Aug. 23-25, 2017. Registration fee is $265 per employee. Additional expenses for lodging, meals, and mileage will be incurred and are estimated to reach over $1,500.
- Approved expenses for Payroll Specialist Sandy Sorensen to attend the Alabama Association of Public Personnel Administrators Problem Solving Forum on July 26, 2017. Registration fee is $150. Additional expenses for mileage and a meal will be incurred.
- Approved accounts payable received to date for June 2017 in the amount of $75,882.20.
Jeremy Law for SylacaugaNews.com | © 2017, SylacaugaNews.com/Marble City Media LLC. All Rights Reserved.