SYLACAUGA, Ala. – The Sylacauga City Council held its first meeting of August on Tuesday.
Leading the headlines at Tuesday’s meeting, the Council and those in attendance were updated on were updated on Sylacauga’s paving project which resumed today, and Sylacauga Police Chief Kelley Johnson announced two new officers have joined his staff.
In its work session prior to the meeting the council wiped three items from its proposed agenda to be voted on at future sessions. The following items were passed in the meeting that lasted just under 15 minutes:
- Approved resolution 58-2018 authorizing City Clerk/Treasurer, as Purchasing Agent, to enter into a National Participation Agreement with BuyBoard National Purchasing Cooperative.
- Approved resolution 59-2018 authorizing a Special Use Permit for AT&T to modify their equipment on the existing tower located at 2155 Settlement Rd. as recommended by CMS (Center for Municipal Solutions).
- Authorized City Clerk/Treasurer, as Purchasing Agent, to upgrade City’s cell phone service to Verizon’s new Public Safety Plan, with substantial savings to the City.
- Authorized the Municipal Court Clerk to open a clearing bank account for monies related to the Judicial Administration funds.
- Authorized expenditure of up to $12,271.07 to complete Central Park electrical upgrade. (Total contract $33,246.07; less in-kind contributions of $10,975; and AMEA grant of $10,000)
- Approved expenses for PD Lt. Willis Whatley to attend the Law Enforcement Coordinating Committees (LECC) 31st Annual Alabama Statewide LECC Conference to be held August 29-31 in Orange Beach. Registration fee is $250. Additional expenses for fuel for travel from conference will be incurred. Total estimated expenses for Whatley are $300.
- Approved expenses for PD Sgt. Kelly White to attend the Project Lifesaver Conference in Orlando Aug. 26-Sept. 2, 2018. Registration fee of $350 will be paid by ALEA. Additional expenses for lodging, meals, and fuel will be incurred. Total estimated expenses for White are $1,114.01.
- Approved expenses for HR Specialist Jayne McGee to attend the 2018 Employee Relations Summit sponsored by Lehr Middlebrooks Vreeland & Thompson, P.C. on Nov. 15, 2018, in Birmingham. There is no registration fee; expenses for mileage will be incurred. Total estimated expenses for McGee are $51.13.
- Approved Accounts Payable received to date for July in the amount of $746,292.65.