SYLACAUGA, Ala. – Improvements to the Sylacauga City Schools athletic facilities continue.
On Friday, the Sylacauga City Schools Board of Education approved a construction bid just shy of $900,000 by MJ Brooks and Son, which also constructed Nichols-Lawson Middle School, for renovations to the baseball and softball facilities.
“We have worked with this company before, and they do excellent work. We have a strong relationship and are confident they will do a great job,” Freeman told SylacaugaNews.com.
Minor upgrades to the two facilities, including an in-field improvement project and irrigation project on the baseball field, have already taken place. Combined with the upcoming upgrades for both the softball and baseball fields, Freeman said estimated costs could reach up to $1.3 million.
“We want to provide excellent, comparable facilities for our student-athletes to play on,” stated Freeman. “We think we are accomplishing that goal with this project.”
Renovations to the SHS softball facility include:
- New concession stand and press box.
- New seating
- New dugouts and back stop
- New sod, in-field, and irrigation system.
Renovations for the SHS baseball facility include:
- New press box, concession stand, and restrooms
- New dugouts
- New dressing rooms and restrooms added on to the already existing indoor hitting facility.
- New exterior fencing and entrance into the stadium.
- Additional accessible handicap parking.
A plan for renovation of SCS sports facilities was formed in Feb. 2015. The first phase of work began in the summer of 2015 with minor improvements to Legion Stadium, followed by the complete renovation of the playing surface and renovations of the home-side stands in 2016. Updates to Legion Stadium are not completed. This summer new bleachers and a press box will be added to the visitor side of Legion Stadium along with other minor improvements.
Changes in staff were also highlighted at the meeting with two resignations being finalized.
Physical education teacher, and soccer and football coach Matt Zedaker officially resigned from Sylacauga High School. Zedaker was hired by Lincoln High School as its athletics director and head football coach.
Joy Lee, the Media Specialist at Indian Valley Elementary, also resigned.
Changes in positions and new hires also headlined the called meeting. Kristin Elliff, formerly the guidance counselor at Pinecrest Elementary will now be the counselor for SHS. Jackie Forbus will be the new Supporting Programs Secretary after serving as the NLMS bookkeeper.
Other employment changes include:
- Chelsea Strong, Color Guard Sponsor, SHS.
- Mandy Reams, Majorette Sponsor, SHS.
- Sally Fowler, Dance Team Sponsor, NLMS.
- Jill Ellzey, Assistant Girls Soccer Coach, SHS.
- Anita Huntley, Breakfast Program Supplement, IVES.
- Linda Tyler, Breakfast Program Supplement, NLMS.
- Mary Beth Casaday, Breakfast Program Supplement, SHS.
- Anita Kelley, CNP Itinerant Worker.
- Ashley Blocker, Math Teacher, NLMS.
- Karen Watson, New Manager Training, NLMS.
- Wendy Arnold, RTI Specialist, SCS.
Yola Kelly will take a leave of absence effecting Aug. 2, 2017 until May 24, 2018.
Jeremy Law for SylacaugaNews.com | © 2017, SylacaugaNews.com/Marble City Media LLC. All Rights Reserved.