SYLACAUGA, Ala. – The holiday season is what many would consider the most magical time of the year. According to law enforcement, many are not prepared when it comes to safety.
Every year during the holiday season, criminal activity tends to increase due to more shopping and easier spirits. Criminals attack in various ways during the holidays by stealing items off individuals while shopping, breaking into households and cars, and even kidnapping.
Here are some precautions you can take:
- While shopping, be sure to follow the buddy system and grab a friend to go shopping with you during the day.
- When parking, scout out a spot in a well lit area and never leave your your car unattended while the engine is running.
- Always walk to your car at night with a purpose and never drive off without first locking your doors and closing your windows.
- Try avoiding shortcuts while driving and stay in familiar and safe areas.
- Be careful where you place your wallet or purse. Think: Is it easy for a predator to grab it?
- Try to use cash rather than credit cards.
- Always be aware of your surroundings and look to make sure no one is following you.
- Be careful who you share information with regarding gifts.
Caitlyn McTier for SylacaugaNews.com | © 2016, SylacaugaNews.com/Marble City Media LLC. All Rights Reserved.