CHILDERSBURG, Ala. – At the intersection of US Highway 280 and Talladega County Road 8 lies the historical marker of Cosa. Cosa shares its name with both Coosa and Coca Village visited by De Soto 476 years ago. This beautiful and tall Sylacauga marble marker found in the heart of Childersburg is two miles north of the actual old Indian town of Cosa.
The Native American town of Cosa is most commonly identified with the Creek and Muscogee Indians. It is famously known as a resting place of De Soto as he traveled to the Coosa River.
The marker officially reads:
Two miles north of this spot was the Indian town Rosa visited by De Soto July 16, 1540.
Recently, an additional smaller stone was placed in front of the marker dedicated to American Veterans which reads, “All gave some, Some gave all.”
The marker was erected by the National Society of Colonial Dames of America in Alabama in 1936 and will stand in the future as distant memory of a pivotal moment within American and Spanish history.
Caitlyn McTier for SylacaugaNews.com | © 2016, SylacaugaNews.com/Marble City Media LLC. All Rights Reserved.