MONTGOMERY, Ala. – The Alabama Department of Transportation encourages motorists to drive with extreme caution and to avoid roadways when weather conditions are prohibitive, particularly early in the morning as bridges may contain icy patches.
Drivers needing information on road conditions in Alabama should go to ALGOTraffic.com or download the ALGO Traffic app available online in the Apple App Store and on Google Play.
ALDOT is monitoring roadway and weather conditions across the state and pre-treating roads and bridges which could be affected by the approaching winter storm. ALDOT appreciates the public’s patience and cooperation as it works to keep highways passable and as safe for travel as possible.
Appropriate driving speeds are determined by the road conditions, which on wet or icy roads should be slower than the posted speed limit. Motorists should slow down and move over if possible when approaching ALDOT and other highway maintenance personnel and emergency vehicles at work.
ALDOT provides up-to-the minute road updates to its ALGO Traffic website and app. With ALGO Traffic, users can select which details they want to see, including:
- Weather-related road alerts
- Traffic cameras
- Interstate Message Signs
- Incident information
- Road construction updates
- Highway traffic speeds
ALDOT asks motorists to use ALGOtraffic.com responsibly. Motorists should never text, tweet, or use a mobile device while operating a vehicle.
As the state of Alabama prepares for Friday and Saturday’s forecast of mix of wintry precipitation, the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency (ALEA) encourages motorists who must drive to use extreme caution and to expect roadways to be icy.
ALEA offers the following traffic safety tips for those who must travel under such hazardous conditions:
- Monitor local news for information on weather conditions and travel advisories, and check road conditions (available at https://algotraffic.com/).
- Report traffic crashes or other emergencies by calling 911 or using a cell phone to dial *HP (*47) to reach the nearest Highway Patrol Post.
- Remain alert for emergency vehicles and remember to obey Alabama’s “move over” law.
- Keep vehicles in good operating condition. Check antifreeze levels and use windshield washer solution suitable for freezing weather conditions. Keep gas tanks at least half full.
- Remember weather and roadway conditions may quickly change. Adapt speeds to existing roadway conditions, and be alert to changing weather and the possibility of icy, slippery roads.
- Turn on headlights and windshield wipers, and maintain a safe distance between your vehicle and other vehicles during inclement weather.
- Pay particular attention to bridges and overpasses, which have a tendency to develop hazardous “black ice.”
- Keep blankets, first aid kit, charged cell phone and other emergency supplies in your vehicle.
Jeremy Law for SylacaugaNews.com | © 2017, SylacaugaNews.com/Marble City Media LLC. All Rights Reserved.